Spring is well under way, and though we’ve had several weeks of awesome weather already, we can expect it to start warming up more permanently in the coming days. If you haven’t already done so, now is the perfect time to get a little spring cleaning done! For some people, spring cleaning is not a big deal because they keep their home meticulously clean all year round, but for others (like me!) spring is the perfect time to do a little deep cleaning to make your home sparkle! If you’re like me, here are some tips to help you take this huge undertaking and break it down into manageable pieces. Trust me, at the end, when your home is shining, it is totally worth it!
Step 1: Room by Room
For each room in your house, pick up clutter. Throw away any trash and irreparable objects and separate anything that you want to sell or donate. Make sure everything you own has a “home” and keep them there! Dust and vacuum each room, pulling out and moving furniture to clean around it. Here are some room by room tips:
- Bedrooms – clean blankets and comforters according to care instructions, wash mattress pads and bed skirts, rotate and/or flip mattresses, and freshen pillows using the air (no heat) setting of the dryer
- Bathrooms – clear your medicine cabinet and discard outdated products, throw away any old bath products that can no longer be used, replace shower curtain liners, and wash or replace shower curtains and bath mats
- Kitchen – Clean out your cabinets and drawers – wipe them out with a damp cloth and organize contents, clean out your pantry and discard stale spices or expired items, clean the inside and outside of your refrigerator and freezer, and pull out appliances as far as you can and vacuum around them
Step 2: Wash Windows
Using a traditional or homemade window washing solution, clean windows both inside and out. Black and white print newspaper is best for cleaning windows because it doesn’t leave any residue behind, but don’t use any colored newsprint or your windows will look like bad stained glass! It is also best to clean windows on a cloudy day because washing windows when its sunny can cause streaks.
Step 3: Clean Window Treatments
There’s no sense in having clean windows with dirty window treatments! If your curtains or drapes are really dirty you can put them through the washing machine or have them dry cleaned (read your care instructions!), but most of the time your curtains can probably be cleaned by using the proper attachment on your vacuum cleaner.
Step 4: Check for Safety
Change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and test them to make sure they’re working. If you own a fire extinguisher, make sure its not expired and if you don’t own one, purchase one and learn how to use it!
Step 5: Deep Clean Carpets
Rent a professional grade carpet cleaner and deep clean all the carpets in your house, or hire professionals to do it for you. It’s best to do this after all your other cleaning is done, so that your fresh carpets don’t get covered with residue from all your other cleaning jobs.
Step 6: Clean Your Exterior
Spring is the perfect time to clean the outside of your home – rent a power washer and wash the exterior of your home as well as driveways and sidewalks. If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself, you can always hire a professional.
- Sliding door tracks – these might not seem like a big deal, but having them clean makes a huge difference! Use a dry toothbrush to loosen dirt and then vacuum it up. If you want an even deeper clean use a wet rag or sponge to finish the job.
- Light fixtures – make sure the electricity is off and bulbs are clean then dust with a microfiber cloth and wipe light bulbs down with a rag moistened with vinegar
- Baseboards and doorframes – Put a few drops of dishwashing liquid in a bucket and dilute it with warm water then wipe down baseboards and doorframes with a sponge
- Walls – walls can be cleaned with the same mixture used for baseboards and doorframes
Interested in buying or selling a home in Southern Delaware? Give us a call at Cooper Real Estate Associates and put us to work for you — 302-856-6434!